FAQs – Workers’ Compensation

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) – Workers’ Compensation

  1. I got hurt at work. Can I go to my own doctor?  When an employer/insurance company accepts there is a work injury and pays for care, the employer is allowed to direct medical care to the medical provider of their choosing.  That medical provider may then refer you to other providers.  If you are not satisfied with the care you are receiving from the employer chosen medical provider, an attorney may be able to help you get “alternative medical care” for your injury.
  2. If I am taken off work from my doctor, will I get paid? If you are taken off work by your physician, you will receive a weekly disability check.  If you are taken off part-time or placed on light duty at a lower paying job, you are entitled to disability benefits for the difference.  Your weekly check will be based on the amount you have worked in the prior weeks or year, and on the number of dependents you have.  An attorney can help make sure you are getting the weekly benefit that you are entitled.
  1. Can I get my medical records from my injury?   You are entitled to your medical records.  The employer/insurance company must provide you with your records that they obtain.
  1. Can I just settle my case and close it out? An insurance company may ask you to settle your case.  They may offer to pay the impairment rating received from the doctor.  It is not a good idea to settle your case without consulting with an attorney.  Closing your case may cut off any right to future medical care.  A lawyer will help you consider:
    • Need for future medical care?
    • Is it a fair settlement for your injury?
    • Has your future earning capacity been effected?
    • Could you aggravate your injured body part in the future, and whether that aggravation would be covered?
    • The impact if you are on any government program, such as Medicare, Social Security Disability, or Title 19?
  1. I aggravated a pre-existing condition. The insurance company has denied the claim.   This happens a lot that an insurance adjuster will deny the claim because it is an aggravation of a pre-existing injury.  You may still qualify for benefits if you aggravated a pre-existing condition.

After you have taken the time to learn more about our firm and the ways in which we can help you, contact Parrish Kruidenier today. We look forward to achieving positive results on your behalf.